The other day I was sitting with my diary, or a journal as I’d like to call it.
That journal is my daily gratitude journal / daily diary entry / the outlet to express myself about things that I might not be able to talk to anyone else about.
I decided that I would introspect more about who I really am as a person and what is important to me. And what does a successful, fulfilled life mean mean for me.
I thought I’ll get answers straight away, I must admit. I always believed I had enough self awareness to be able to discover who I was almost immediately.
Looks like I overestimated my skills. Or maybe not.
For some reason I was able to list down a lot of little things in life that give me joy and happiness, but was not able to pin point that ONE thing that would make me feel like my life is fulfilled. Did that mean that maybe a real fulfilled life doesn’t really have this ONE magical thing one should do but rather a series of little joys that help sail and live through this journey called life?
I was speaking to someone over Facebook chat yesterday. I happened to comment on her post on the same day of her looking at my Youtube channel for dance video ideas. She told me something I did not think consciously, but that sentence resounded in my head and I decided to note that down before I forget it. She said “Spread the joy of being alive”.
You know something, what I’ve slowly learned about life is one needs to stop worrying about happiness that “one day” and focus about being happy NOW.
If you are happy naturally without any effort right now then you are sorted. But if you feel anxious and need to address your anxiety, or rather get rid of it, here are a few things you could do (that I personally do) :
- Meditate : I cannot stress the importance of meditating. I actively started meditating about one and a half years ago and I have never looked back since. I try and meditate at least once a day. And on the days I go without meditating, I can see the difference. In fact not just me, my friends and close ones can also see the difference. If you need to get some peace in life, irrespective of just how bad you think your life might be right now, meditation will help. I use this guided meditation app called Insight Timer on android phones. It is a free app and is perfect for anyone who wants specific topics to meditate on. My account handle on the app is via my email email@example.com. You can add me there and we could meditate together 🙂
- Gratitude Journalling : I have been really on and off about this for some reason. I resumed gratitude journalling about three days ago mainly because of the same anxiety attack I talked about. And its strange, but every time I end the journalling I am either almost in tears or just genuinely filled with gratitude towards the people that matter to me. Just get a pen and a diary, make it a point to write the top 3 or 5 things that you are grateful for today.
- Fake It Till You Make It : This is probably the BEST advice anyone could give anyone. I know this works. If you don’t feel confident but want to become one, just start acting as if you are the most confident human ever made. And the brain almost gets attuned to the fake confidence and mistakes it for real confidence. Mission accomplished !!! I am really trying to incorporate this into my daily life, and even if there would be times where one would falter and things would fail where you cant fake anymore, the key is to get back up and get going again till you genuinely start being that person.
- Talk To Someone About Your Problems & Ask Them For Help : Because sometimes our minds make a much bigger deal about a problem than it actually is. Talking to someone you trust always helps this situation and makes you feel better by the end of the day.
- Daily Affirmations : My best friend Aditi told me about this. I had a weird anxiety attack one day, so I pinged her asking advice about what I could do to make myself feel better. She said there are these daily affirmations that help conquer the biggest fears, so she asked me to write my affirmations down and the most important part…. Read It Out Loud !!! Initially I thought that might not really make a difference but the truth was that by the time I was reading the affirmations out loud, I was already feeling better about myself and about the reasons that caused me anxiety.
- Engage in Activity That You Always Wanted To Do : And do not delay it. I do that a lot. My creative urges would want to make the next vlog, or the next dance video or just the next candid talking video. But I would keep putting it off till I “feel better”. But the truth for all of us including me is that we WOULD feel better once we push ourselves to engage in the activity. So bring out those colours if you have always wanted to paint, get your camera out if you love photography, and note for me – Go make the next damn dance video because I’ve been wanting to for the longest time. Just Do It!!!
I also must admit, I absolutely hate it when I start something but don’t continue it after a while, so typing out this blog has been one of my things on my to do list. And guess what , I did follow my own advice of point (6) . To add to that, I shall go ahead and finish my choreography so that I could shoot the video tomorrow.
Till the next post,